Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Well, she was a crule and unfortunate woman! I have eaten cake tonight (as she invited one to do) and now am feeling rather sick and sorry for myself.
I currently am supporting a food baby which I am not proud of. Curse you Marie Antoinette and your misguided instructions!
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Although is not considered a mental disorder there are some facts on procrastination that we should be aware of. A person that procrastinates wants to delay the work that have to be done right know, usually due to the amount of effort involved in the task.
You should know that not all the people that procrastinate are lazy people and this happens a lot with students. Some students are not lazy but they just cant get the work done because the feel overwhelmed and confused, sometimes they have emotional problems so they dont feel in the mood to focus and concentrate on a task.
Other causes are waiting for the right time to do things, lack of clear goals, lack of clear instructions and psychological problems. There are people that just cant focus on that single task, they do many other un important tasks but they dont do what is important to complete the work.
This create different consequences in people like low academic performance, stress, a sense of guilt for not completing the work, lack of personal productivity and some people can get in to a crisis.
Another important cause of procrastination is perfection, people that want to do everything perfect tend to delay the task until they can be sure that nothing will be wrong, they are insecure and have fear of failing to do things the way they are expected to be.
Further research, tests and studies are needed to get some clear statistics and facts of what is the major cause of procrastination and how can it be avoided.
Quick Tip #1
Write down all your goals for the Next Day the previous night
Quick Tip #2
Turn off all electronic devices and communication just use what you really need to accomplish your task, like paper, computer, etc.
Quick Tip #3
Set a schedule for all your work tasks and dont stop until you have finished your tasks one by one
"Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task", William James.
As you can see the the above quote, not completing your tasks can be very frustrating and fatiguing, you better do it.
"Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday", Don Marquis.
That quote says clearly how procrastination trying to do what is suppose to be done yesterday.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment", Robert Benchley.
That quote is very true, most people do any kind of work, but not what they should be doing to accomplish their tasks.
"To think too long about doing a thing often becomes it's undoing", Eva Young.
If you think too much of how you are going to do something, you will probably not do it. Is better
to start now doing something even if its not perfect.
"The best way to get something done is to begin"
This is a powerful quote, the cure to procrastination is to begin right now. Nothing will get done if you dont begin.
Those are some very good quotes on procrastination and what it means. Dont setback your tasks for another day, do them now and you will be ahead of 99% of people that dont want to put the effort into getting something done in their lives.
I recommend you to print the above quotes and keep them near you, so the next time you want to put aside some work, read the quotes and it will remind you to continue. Nothing great has been done in this world by procrastinating. All great achievers have one thing in common, they get things done no matter what
Facts and Procrastination Studies
Most students, executives, employees of any age tend to be victim of procrastination, which is the habit of avoiding doing the work or using excuses to do it later. Although procrastination is most of the time referred as an habit, there are studies made about if its a psychological problem or biological problem.The Procrastination Research Group made a survey to 2,700 and asked them how much negative impact does procrastination have on your happiness? 46% said that very much and 18% said that an extreme negative effect.
People who procrastinate always look for excuses not to get done things and is always thinking in the past rather than in its intentions or goals. They have low self esteem sometimes self deception, low self confidence and anxiety.
There are different reasons whey people procrastinate, students know that they have to to their work and get it done by a deadline. However, if the task is not fun or is not something they love to do, they put it aside and do many other things first, then at the last minute they engage in their work, with stress, anxiety and usually poor performance.
That does not mean that all procrastinators achieve low results, in fact there have been geniuses that were procrastinators. For example, a student can avoid doing his homework and he does it just a few hours before the deadline, but has a lot of talent and can get done the task quick and with quality.
That is also the case of some artists, like Leaonardo Davinci that start a work of art but they put it aside and dont finished until much later or when they are inspired. Some people want to do their work when they are inspired and are in the right mood to do it well.
However, we are not all geniuses and we usually have short amount of time to accomplish our tasks, so we need to fit on our schedule. You need to look for a specific goal and work every day towards it.
Studies show that procrastination is usually a psychological problem, although a lot have to be researched on this subject. This bad habit can be helpful for an artist or a song writer that want to work when he is inspired, but not for everyone, in school or at work, we dont usually need inspiration for most of our tasks, we just need to get them done, they are simple but requires work.
Monday, May 11, 2009
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
What is the swine flu?
The swine influenza A (H1N1) virus that has infected humans in the U.S. and Mexico is a novel influenza A virus that has not previously been identified in North America. This virus is resistant to the antiviral medications amantadine (Symmetrel) and rimantadine (Flumadine), but is sensitive to oseltamivir (Tamiflu) and zanamivir (Relenza). Investigations of these cases suggest that on-going human-to-human swine influenza A (H1N1) virus is occurring.
What are the symptoms of swine flu?
Although uncomplicated influenza-like illness (fever, cough or sore throat) has been reported in many cases, mild respiratory illness (nasal congestion, rhinorrhea) without fever and occasional severe disease also has been reported. Other symptoms reported with swine influenza A virus infection include vomiting, diarrhea, myalgia, headache, chills, fatigue, and dyspnea. Conjunctivitis is rare, but has been reported. Severe disease (pneumonia, respiratory failure)
and fatal outcomes have been reported with swine influenza A virus infection. The potential for exacerbation of underlying chronic medical conditions or invasive bacterial infection with swine influenza A virus infection should be considered.
Monday, May 4, 2009
Scorpio (the scorpion) is intense and powerful. Although you appear controlled and calm, you are emotional and energetic. Scorpios often have strong and penetrating eyes. They seem fun to be with socially, but some seem self-involved and withdrawn. You can recognize your special qualities and it requires self-control to prevent you from using them for bad reasons. In relationships, you can be passionate and overwhelming. You are also very sensitive and take almost every comment to heart. You discard friends when they start to bore you.
The opposite sex holds a fair deal of attraction to you but you should be careful in your dealings with them as you usually end up in unpleasant situations, because of the zeal and determination with which you tackle relationships with the opposite sex. Be friendly by all means, but treat the person like one treats a rose. Enjoy its glory, but do not crush its petals. You will find more satisfaction. You cannot be faithful for too long and this will not only destroy your reputation, but also remain a painful memory all your life.
Important Information on Scorpions:
Good career choices for you are: Surgeon Psychologist Soldier Research Scientist Police Detective Spy Lawyer
Scorpions are prone to liver and kidney problems.
Your ruling planet: Pluto.
The scorpion is associated with Scorpio.
Your lucky color: dark red or maroon.
Your lucky gemstone: opal.
Your lucky numbers : 2, 7, 9.
The Year of the Ox
1913, 1925, 1937, 1949, 1961, 1973, 1985, 1997
People born in the Year of the Ox are patient, speak little, and inspire confidence in others. They tend, however, to be eccentric, and bigoted, and they anger easily. They have fierce tempers and although they speak little, when they do they are quite eloquent. Ox people are mentally and physically alert. Generally easy-going, they can be remarkably stubborn, and they hate to fail or be opposed. They are most compatible with Snake, Rooster, and Rat people.
Sunday, May 3, 2009
Create your own FACEinHOLE
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Thursday, April 23, 2009
Adding to my concern is the fact that the people online at this time of night are absurd and are really lonely (either that or their axe wielding maniacs). Their comments are sad and disturbing and at different level of peversion to those who I chat with during daylight hours.
It worries me that I constantly find myself chatting with such characters so late at night, and so often for that fact. I am just one of them? Am I the same as them? Do people view me online as I see myself or do they judge me as harshly? Questions for the universe I guess.
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Here goes ....
1. I have clothes in my cupboard that range from size 8 - 16! What is with that? And people wonder why eating disorders exist.
2. A friend had an abortion last year and I went to the clinic with here. Scariest moment of my life so far. Still don't know what I think...
3. I have a 'to win a noble prize' on my bucket list. As Robert Browning said "A man's grasp should exceed his reach, else what's a heaven for."
4. I try to tell myself every day that I'll become a vegan but have to settle to attempting being a vegetrain and at least stop animal the slaughter of animals.
5. I hate my body and wish I was the size 0 that is constantly slapped in my face by the media.
6. Black Books and Couplings are two awesomes shows and the British are far better at comedy than Americans ever could be.
7. I am half way through writting my first novel but I started it when I was 10.
8. I am taller than any of my other family members.
9. I'm allegic to cats, bees and stupid people.
10. I have had cellulite since I was 3 and will die with much more.
11. I will never give up chocolate! Never! Never! Never! and you can't make me.
12. I often get told that I look like no one and that's exactly how I like it. As I would rather be ugly and an individual than plastic beauty and someone that always reminds people of someone else.
13. My second toe is as long as my big toe and no I'm not a monkey but yes I can pick things up with my feet.
14. I strongly dislike people who think Uni is the only option... do what you want to do, if you live your life for someone else it won't be the one of your dreams.
15. The most common misconception that people make about me is that I'm shallow and superficial. Alot of people think I talk alot and am like that all the time.. it offends me, I have two distinct sides (I guess like everyone) and people who think that haven't seen the other side. Maybe they'd realise this if they got to know me a little better.
16. I plan on travelling within the next 12 months.
17. Hate people that have the intellect of a parrot. They hear what other people think and then copy it. Get your own ideas people!
18. Has broken bones a total of six times in my life.
19. Gets angry at people blaming everyone else for their existence ... if you want things to be different stop whinging and change it as no one else will do it for you.
20. Gets angry at facebook for spoiling all lifes little pleasures.
21. Believes the Bush government treated their people like cows on a cattle truck.
22. Is kind of scared by technology and what effects it can have on your life. That said I am a complete sucker for everything new and exciting.
23. Total impulse buyer. Put it near the checkouts and I will consider it.
24. Hates people who are homophobic and can't understand why people can judge others by their sexuality.
25. Loves tattoos but don't have any as I would be disowned if I ever got any.
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Life is such a curious gift. We have an infinite means of power, thought and action but we consistently fall short of fulfilling our optimum ability. We use so little of the power our body provides and live to short and stunted existence. Why be given such a gift to only ignore the privilege that it is?
Thursday, April 16, 2009
It's interesting how when you hide you are lost but when there is light you can discover your life. Holidays create the moments in life when you learn something new about who you are which is intrinsically important to shaping the rest of your life. I always come home with a new perspective and appreciation of life and frankly myself. Travel changes your story and the direction of your life. It diverts your current path and creates a new future full of unseen opportunities and circumstances.
I guess all actions in your life have a consequence. Somehow I don't perceive the effect of my everyday yet I always notice the significance and opportunity of holidays.
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Saturday, April 11, 2009
I’m not sure about this online adventure I’m use to being lost in literature and images not the internet. I figure it’s a natural step forward for someone of my generation so I’m using this blog to introduce myself.
Welcome to my blog about a year in my life.